It’s important to ensure that each employee record is maintained with up-to-date HR documentation on their employment history. This will keep the management team appropriately informed on all staff matters when managing employees throughout the employee-lifecycle.
If you are needing to upload multiple documents, either to the same employee record or to multiple employee records, you should read Uploading documents in bulk - what are the methods?
The most important thing to note when uploading documents to an Employee Record is the Document Type. This will categorise the document you are uploading which can assist with reporting. It will also determine whether other management Users have the appropriate Access Roles to see that document type and whether employees can view it in eSS.
How to upload a document:
1. Navigate to the Employee Record you're intending to upload a document to and click on their "Documents" tab.
2. Click "Upload a new document".
3. Click "Select file" to select the document you would like to upload (this will pick up the documents from your local computer). This will pre-populate the Title with the file name of your selected document, you can then update this if needed.
NOTE: You may also click "Add Another File" should you wish to include multiple documents in one (1) uploaded document file.
4. For the "Document Type" field, you can select different types of document types by clicking its drop-down arrow. By default, the Document Type will be listed as Other Document (DOC), this is a generic Document Type that is not visible to employees in eSS.
For the full list of document types and other relevant details, please see the following articles:
5. The "Version" field (optional) can be set to any the following ("Complete copy" being the default version):
- Unsigned copy - refers to created documents.
- Executed copy - refers to signed documents.
- Complete copy - refers to documents with no signature required (this is the default version when uploading documents).
6. For the "Signature Date" field, this is an optional field so you can select the date of signature for the document. This will be helpful for scanned documents.
7. The "Expiry Date" field is another optional field. On the other hand, this field is very beneficial ensure documents are always current and to track documents with expiry dates (e.g. certificates, qualifications, driver's license, etc).
8. Users can also receive alerts/reminders to track documents. Click the "Setup Reminders" button to set reminders and appropriately track follow-ups (e.g expired driver's license). Reminders appear in the system under the Alerts tab at account level and employee record level.
9. Click "Upload" to complete the document upload.
When a document has been uploaded you’re able to assign the employee a task to read the document in eSS.
1. Open the document, click Assign an eSS task.
2. Under the Next Step (Task) field, make sure the Assign to [EMPLOYEE NAME] in Self Service option is selected.
3. Select a due date if necessary and provide clear instructions to the employee. You can set some reminders if needed.
4. Once complete, click Assign. The employee will then get an email informing them of the task to complete in eSS. The document will be attached as part of the eSS task.